Thursday, March 29, 2012

Spring Break: Chicago

I went, on a total whim, to Chicago for Spring Break last week. I got to see old friends, the Art Institute, and just make a general escape from Colorado Springs for a few days. It was incredibly and shockingly hot for Chicago in March, I was in shorts the whole week! I got to see my friend Ben, aka Constant Smiles, play a show at this neat venue/loft/recording studio/some guys' house called The Observatory. In between sets, everyone went up to the roof for cigarettes and an incredible view of the Chicago skyline. You can actually find a recording of the show on Ben's website, the album is "Live, right straight from the grave."

Stage/bar at The Observatory

I saw some awesome things at the Art Institute, which is one of my favorite museums because of their extensive Impressionism collection, and bangin' modern art wing.


chairs and lights in the modern wing.


Surprise! It's an awesome Magritte.


Joseph Cornell


The basement had an awesome textiles exhibit, featuring hilarious and incredible samplers like this one, "wrought by Clarissa Emerson, aged 14."

Overall it was a great trip, and I was sad to come home, as I always am when I leave a city.
I will sign off with Ben's cat, Lolita, my new love. (cats can't read, so Marcel won't be offended by my feline infidelity.)

No comments:

Post a Comment