Friday, March 16, 2012

Knitting Inspiration/Infuriation: Wool and the Gang










Inspiration: Wool and the Gang. It's an incredible, high-end company founded by two women, of beautiful knitted stuff. Sweaters, bags, scarves, you name it. Celebrities are obsessed, I'm obsessed. In addition to offering ridiculously over-priced knitted goods, they also sell ridiculously over-priced kits, with everything you need to make any of their designs. The kits include needles, Peruvian wool yarn, and the pattern.
Infuriation: The ridiculously over-pricedness. It is so hard to find patterns online that are fashion-forward, simple, and modern. It seems most of these pattern websites haven't updated since the mid-90s. And while I love browsing Ravelry.com, it is hard to find anything I really want to knit. I love everything on the Wool and the Gang website, but who can shell out upwards of $100 for a simple sweater pattern? Not I. My goal now is to find similar, more affordable (free) patterns at other websites that I can alter, and/or try to recreate these Wool and the Gang beauties from the photos. I'm glad that knitting may be getting popular and upscale, but I would love to see a website of patterns that are equally pretty and modern, but reasonable for the budgets of actual knitters.

No comments:

Post a Comment