Friday, March 16, 2012

So Fresh and so Clean

I love making soap. It's fun, it saves money, and it makes great gifts. I have made soap completely from scratch before (meaning I start with actual lye), but it's much faster and less treacherous to just buy glycerin from a craft supply store, and then add to it.
For my last batch of soap, I melted a big pot of glycerin, then transferred it to several smaller bowls so that I could add things and make a few different scents.
For cinnamon clove soap, I added a few shakes of both ground cinnamon, and ground clove.
For honey ginger, I melted some honey into the liquid glycerin, then added a few shakes of ground ginger.
For lavender chamomile, I brewed some chamomile tea and added a few tablespoons to the glycerin, then added some lavender flowers (which I actually found at Hobby Lobby).
For oatmeal honey, I melted honey into the liquid glycerin, added a few shakes of ground ginger, and then added a couple tablespoons of steel cut oats.
For orange peel, I added a few shakes of dried orange peel, and a couple drops of orange essential oil.
I let my soaps set in rectangular soap molds, but you could also use plastic yogurt or cottage cheese cups. You can really use a lot of different household items for soap molds, as long as they're plastic.
After my soaps set (usually takes at least 45 minutes), I wrapped them with this cool wood gain-printed paper I had, and labeled them with stamps.

honey ginger, oatmeal honey, cinnamon clove, and lavender chamomile.

wrapped soaps!

1 comment: