Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Maple Apricot Almond Granola (gluten free + refined sugar free)



I'm going to be honest: I eat way too much granola. I eat it with almond milk, with yogurt, with almond butter, ravenously and shamefully straight out of the box in the kitchen in the dark late at night... I eat it a lot. I like it because it doesn't get soggy in milk like other cereals, and because it's a nice snack when I'm feeling like something a little bit sweet. Granola can be an expensive habit, though, and when I found that I'd run out and needed a fix RIGHT THEN, I decided that it would be beneficial to make my own. I remembered that my mom used to make granola for Christmas gifts, and that it was delicious, but involved quite a bit of brown sugar. I figured if I was making own, I should take the opportunity to make a healthier alternative.



So here it is, adapted from this recipe, Maple Apricot Almond Granola:

2 cups gluten free oats (or regular old fashioned oats)
1 1/2 cups almonds (you can buy them pre-cut, or roughly chop up whole almonds. I used a food processor for this.)
Handful of flax seed powder
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup maple syrup, honey, or a combo
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut (shredded or flaked)
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots

In a bowl, combine oats, flax seed powder, and almonds. Pour in coconut oil and syrup/honey, and stir to combine. Stir in vanilla and spices. Spread out on baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Add dried apricots and unsweetened coconut, stir granola, and cook for 5 minutes more (or until nicely browned). Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment